C.I.D

C.I.D

Tuesday 16 October 2012

T3-M4. In the beginning


My intention is to build my fifth Droid which will be a T3-M4. Using my usual artistic licence I will take the basic T3-M3 plans only as a starting point and see what I can come up with. 

In the beginning there was some 12mm MDF.

The plan so far is to build the main body, legs and feet in MDF to get the main structure. In sellected areas I will later add alloy parts and a steel sub structure. Because it is a fairly squat Droid it will probably end up being very heavy, however, from the start I want to try and minimise weight if I can. 

Power for this build will come from some much bigger than average motors in the shape of 24v 7.5Amp wheel chair motors. These will run at 115rpm so should give me plenty of speed but also stacks of torque. The aim of these motors which will be connected up to 10" wheels will be to travel over all terrain, unlike my other Droids that only really function ideally on smooth surfaces. I recently finished a Dalek which I used the same motors and it is able to travel over most surfaces, gravel, grass and easily on a road surface. One of the initial problems I can for-see is that the rear leg pods may have to be slightly larger to accommodate the larger wheels and motors. The front feet will also have to be modified to fit the larger wheels which will need to be fitted to allow travel on grass.
Power will come from two or maybe three 33Amp SLA batteries fitted in the main body. Head movement will be achieved with a servo system I have designed. I am still in two minds about whether the Droid should do the 3.2.3 movement or stay static.

Electronics and systems will include:
Sabretooth 25x2 Dual ESC
Bluetooth sound receiver sound system.
Working Holo projector
Fully animatronic head with movement recognition
On board Wi-fi router and IP webcam
Water spray system
Spektrum 8ch receiver
A large collection of 10Kg servos
Smoke machine


My planned deadline for this build will be April 2013 ready for or Corsham Sci-Fi event.


No comments:

Post a Comment